A graduate student who receives a grade of INC (Incomplete), which is granted only at the discretion of the instructor, must complete the work of the incomplete course before the end of the term following that in which the course was taken, even if the student's registration status during that term is leave of absence, unless she or he is given an earlier deadline by the instructor. If the work is not submitted by that time, the INC becomes a permanent grade, unless the student has petitioned successfully for an extension. The student and the instructor determine the appropriate extension date for the submission of the work. Petitions must be approved by the instructor, the director of graduate studies, and the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs. Extensions, when granted, ordinarily will not exceed one additional term.

Petition for Extension of an Incomplete Grade

Non-GSAS Petition for Extension of an Incomplete Grade

INC grades incurred in cross-registered courses in another school are subject to GSAS rules and deadlines unless the other school's deadlines are earlier. Extensions must be approved both by GSAS and by the other school. Incomplete grades cannot be changed once a final degree has been awarded.

If a student is submitting a petition for the extension of the incomplete and has other incompletes, the student should attach a note to the petition explaining if, and when, the other work will be completed. Once the work is submitted to the faculty member, the faculty member needs to notify the Registrar's Office of the grade change.

Applications can be downloaded from this page (see above).

If you have further questions regarding this form, contact us at 617-495-1814 or via e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. You will find the rules governing this process in the GSAS Handbook.