What information are you looking for?
- What is the GSAS Commencement schedule and where do activities take place?
- How do I order my regalia?
- Can I get more involved in Commencement activities?
- How can I order tickets? Where can I pick them up?
- I understand that GSAS gives out diplomas to the children of graduates. How can I sign up for that?
- Do I need to make arrangements for international guests or those with disabilities?
- Where can I get photos or a DVD of Commencement?
- I can’t find the information I’m looking for. Is there someone I can contact?
Please Note: Orders for regalia for Master’s degree candidates must be placed from March 23 through April 8, and from March 23 through April 24 for PhD candidates.
Yes! You can enter the Commencement 2015 Student Orations Competition. Each year, three graduating students are selected to speak at the Morning Exercises, including one representative from the graduate or professional schools. Speeches must not exceed five minutes in length and there is a $1,000 prize. The deadline for 2015 submissions has passed. Check out the Commencement Office’s website to learn more.
Tickets are required for Commencement Day events. Degree candidates are allotted the following number of tickets:
|GSAS Breakfast with the Deans||no ticket maximum|
two ticket maximum
|GSAS Diploma Awarding Ceremony in Sanders Theatre
PhD and terminal Master's candidates only
|two ticket maximum
degree candidate does not need her/his own ticket
four additional tickets to Science Center Commencement broadcast
|GSAS Luncheon||one complimentary for degree candidate, $20 per person for additional tickets|
five ticket maximum
For reasons of capacity and safety, there will be no exceptions to the two-ticket rule for the Morning Exercises and the GSAS Diploma Awarding Ceremony in Sanders Theatre.
Degree candidates must pick up their tickets in person, with a photo identification, at the following times and locations. Tickets cannot be mailed.
- Friday, May 22, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Campus Center Information Center on the Arcade Level, 1350 Massachusetts Ave.
- Tuesday, May 26, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Campus Center Information Center on the Arcade Level, 1350 Massachusetts Ave.
- Wednesday, May 27, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Campus Center Information Center on the Arcade Level, 1350 Massachusetts Ave.
- Thursday, May 28, 7 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., GSAS Information Tent, Maxwell Dworkin, 33 Oxford Street
Heightened security measures are in effect for Commencement. All degree candidates who are attending Commencement must visibly display their Harvard identification (ID) cards or Harvard Yard Passes before being granted admission to Harvard Yard. GSAS will distribute Commencement lanyards (a cord with an attached pouch to be worn around the neck) and Yard Passes to degree candidates when they pick up their Commencement tickets. Lanyards allow degree recipients to display their ID cards or Yard Passes visibly and gain speedier access to Harvard Yard. Degree recipients who are unable to pick up their lanyard and tickets before Commencement Day may obtain them at the GSAS Information Tent at 35 Oxford Street. Please be aware that additional security may be in place at the entrance gates for Commencement guests, and delays can be expected.
Information for guests with disabilities can be found on the University’s Commencement website.
View a PDF containing specific information required to generate a letter.
Details about the visitor's visa may be found on the US Department of State website. You may also visit the Harvard International Office (HIO) website which outlines the documents needed for the visa application process. For more information, contact Darryl Zeigler, HIO International Student Advisor, at 617-495-2789.
DVDs of Commencement Day can be ordered by mail using a DVD Order Form.
Commencement Photographs can be ordered from Commencement Photos, Inc., by mail, fax, or phone by using the commencement photographs order form.
Visit Harvard’s Commencement website for information about University-wide activities.