GSAS Commencement 2015
GSAS Commencement 2015
Congratulations on receiving your degree!
We look forward to celebrating with you on May 28, 2015. These are the important deadlines:
Regalia orders (PhD candidates): April 24, 2015
Regalia orders (Master's candidates): April 9, 2015
Last day to submit application for the May 2015 Degree: March 27, 2015
Ticket orders: April 1-24, 2015
Ticket order pick-ups: May 22, 26-28, 2015
Here's what to do to prepare:
1. See What's on Schedule, and Where
2. Order Your Tickets
The link for ordering 2015 commencement tickets will be live on April 1.
Please note: tickets are required for Commencement Day events. Degree candidates are allotted the following number of tickets:
- GSAS Breakfast with the Deans: no ticket maximum
- Morning Exercises: two ticket maximum (degree candidate does not need her/his own ticket)
- GSAS Diploma Awarding Ceremony in Sanders Theatre (PhD and terminal Master's candidates only): two ticket maximum (degree candidate does not need her/his own ticket); four additional tickets to Science Center Simulcast
- GSAS Luncheon: one complimentary for degree candidate, $15 per person for additional tickets
- Afternoon Exercises: five ticket maximum (this includes the degree candidate)
For reasons of capacity and safety, there will be no exceptions to the two-ticket rule for the Morning Exercises and the GSAS Diploma Awarding Ceremony in Sanders Theatre.
3. Order Your Regalia
Please check back in the spring for detailed instructions and order forms.
4. Pick Up Your Tickets
Degree candidates must pick up their tickets in person, with a photo identification, at the following times and locations. Tickets cannot be mailed.
- Friday, May 22, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Campus Center Information Center on the Arcade Level, 1350 Massachusetts Ave.
- Tuesday, May 26, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Campus Center Information Center on the Arcade Level, 1350 Massachusetts Ave.
- Wednesday, May 27, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Campus Center Information Center on the Arcade Level, 1350 Massachusetts Ave.
- Thursday, May 28, 7 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., GSAS Information Tent, Maxwell Dworkin, 33 Oxford Street
5. Get Festive, Get Nostalgic
Each year three graduating students are selected to speak at the Morning Exercises, including one representative from the graduate or professional schools. Speeches must not exceed five minutes in length, and there is a $1,000 prize. Visit the Commencement Office's website to learn more.
House Masters Reception at Dudley
Jim and Doreen Hogle invite you and your guests to a reception at Dudley House, Wednesday, May 27, from 4-6 p.m. RSVP by May 25.
Breakfast with the Deans
Commencement Day starts with breakfast on the Gropius Lawns (35 Oxford Street), 6:45-7:45 a.m., after which we'll process to Sever Quadrangle.
Commencement Day Luncheon
Lunch is served from noon-3 p.m. on the Gropius Lawns (33 Oxford Street).
Attend the Afternoon Exercises
Stay tuned for the announcement of this year's commencement speaker.
Order a DVD of Commencement Day
GSAS will post the DVD order form in mid-to late spring.
Order Commencement Photographs
GSAS will post the photo order form in mid-to late spring.
6. Learn More
Please check our Commencement FAQ, and see below for information about common concerns.
To learn about the awarding of diplomas to children of graduates, read this informational PDF.
Guests with Disabilities
Live Broadcast for Morning and Afternoon Exercises
Commencement Morning and Afternoon Exercises will be broadcast live via Comcast Cable (Channel 283) in Boston/Brookline and Cambridge/Greater Boston. These ceremonies will also be streamed live via the following web sites: www.commencement.harvard.edu, and www.uis.harvard.edu. Please note that the GSAS Diploma Awarding Ceremony in Sanders Theater will not be broadcast on television, but it will indeed be streamed online here on this page.
View a PDF containing specific information required to generate a letter.
Details about the visitor's visa may be found on the US Department of State website. You may also visit the Harvard International Office (HIO) website which outlines the documents needed for the visa application process. Darryl Zeigler, HIO International Student Advisor, can answer any questions you may have and can be reached at 617-495-2789.
Heightened security measures will be in effect for Commencement. All degree candidates who are attending Commencement must visibly display their Harvard identification (ID) cards or Harvard Yard Passes before being granted admission to Harvard Yard. GSAS will distribute Commencement lanyards (a cord with an attached pouch to be worn around the neck) and Yard Passes to degree candidates when they pick up their Commencement tickets. Lanyards allow degree recipients to display their ID cards or Yard Passes visibly and gain speedier access to Harvard Yard. Degree recipients who are unable to pick up their lanyard and tickets before Commencement Day may obtain them at the GSAS Information Tent at 35 Oxford Street. Please be aware that additional security may be in place at the entrance gates for Commencement guests, and delays can be expected.
Health Insurance for Graduating Students
For information about University-wide Commencement activities, go to www.commencementoffice.harvard.edu.